Paleo, yep you know the name but you’re like me and a bit fuzzy on what it is. Seafood and rice dish? No, wait, that’s paella. Paleo isn’t a food dish. It is, according to the latest research, something our ancestors had got right. They got it so right that its now been given a fancy name and now has claims it can trim your tum and even help towards you living longer. It is especially ticking the boxes for us, menopausal women.
SO they have done lots of research and studies because you can’t spout about stuff without proof. They reported that in the study the women following a paleo styled diet lost more weight than those on a regular calorie controlled diet. The important bit though is where they lost the weight, from their middles. It’s around our middles that the harmful abdominal fat likes to linger and its linked to increased risk of type2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease. They also reported a drop in triglycerides and other fatty acids in the blood. These are linked to a higher risk of disease.
So it does some good and it had me at the mention of losing weight around my middle but what is paleo?
Well, it’s a style of diet or a lifestyle choice. You concentrate on eating lean meat, fish, vegetables, fruits, nuts, and seeds. Sounds like what most healthy person goes on about most the time, so nothing new there. But did you know in the western diet when we are left to our own devices and eat what we want, that lot above makes up only about 25% of our diet and we fill the rest with cereals, dairy, refined fat, sugar, and legumes. So 25% of our diet is ok, the other 75% isn’t because it’s the carb-heavy meals are the reason why we are getting rounder. The body very kindly puts the fat from these meals where our immune system is working the most. That’s fine now and again but when we are doing it all the time it results in extra bellies around our middles.
On most diets, you have the tedious job of counting calories or working gout points. It takes time and demoralising when you have a certain amount of calories left for the day, its only lunch time and everything you want to eat is far too many calories. Where is the fun in that, its probably why so many diets don’t work, we lose the will to live with the calorie counter?
With following a paleo diet you don’t have to calorie count or convert any foods into points. You just eat whats on the good list and avoid those on the bad list.
What Is Paleo – The Goodies
Lean Meat, Fish, and Eggs
Its thought our ancestors got the majority of their protein from fish and the oily fish like salmon and mackerel are good sauces of essential fatty acids.
Vegetables and Some Fruits
The good old five portions of vegetables a day still stadsFrui s important too but stick to the less sugary ones like raspberries and strawberries
Plant Based fats, Nuts and Seeds
Often overlooked in diets but foods like almonds, sunflower and pumpkin seeds can reduce your risk of heart disease and also thought to help reduce the level of LDL cholesterol in your blood.
What Is Paleo – The Baddies
Cereals and Grains
A strict paleo follower excludes all cereals, grains, and legumes which does include wholemeal foods and starchy vegetables. But its all about being realistic and balance. If you find brown rice and starchy vegetables don’t bloat you then you can include them.
A strict paleo diet doesn’t generally contain milk. There is the then the guidelines that you will need to up your calcium intake elsewhere with foods like sardines, and kale. Also, try alternatives like soya or almond milk
Sugar and Processed Food
You don’t have to ditch completly but keep for occasional treat things like cakes, biscuits and ready meals.